Thursday, November 28, 2013

Wasted, productive Follow Up Cal

I received a phone call yesterday. This is a guy who I met at a networking group months ago. He re-introduced himself, said the group where we met and said he was calling to follow up. He did not say anything. I put the question to him, "Why are you calling? What are we talking about? "He said me that he made a cover adapted for laptops. I thought it was beautiful, but I do not have one and still do not understand why he called me. He then told me he did other types of customized blankets too. I said, "Oh." We now have not been on the phone for several minutes. I still really do not understand why he called me. He seems to want me to lead -! But he is the person who made the call to try to be fair, I always talk to the person who called me - it was my business. 

Others are not always so beautiful or are willing to spend time with strangers who asked not clear reason.Finally my caller asked if I was developing a product that might need to be covered. I'm developing a new product that will fit into a binder. I told him about it. He said they also do special packages for products. He went on to indicate that the job can be adjusted and my "whatever I want." Now what I'm going binder, I can get them at Staples or some discount or internet sites of vendors who specialize in this kind of product, so that said I could get "what I want" does not make sense. I asked if he could give an example. He did not have a sample to send and no brochures or catalogs with appropriate examples. He has a website, which only shows the laptop cover. The caller kept repeating that his invention "adjusted" and that I can get "whatever I want." He kept repeating that it seems important. 

It does not. He's selling feature, "It is adaptable," rather than benefit, "It will make your product unique and makes it stand out. This will add value. This will help your brand and image. You sell more because of the way it was packaged. "It's profitable. What better results if only conversation he mentioned one of them! Also imagine what a better result if he suggests, "Let's get together and talk about your product. Can we have some idea of ​​how it looks and what you want to accomplish in the box and I can make some recommendations. "I will be happy to meet him. Who knows what will be the next meeting? At this point it's time for me to get the phone. I have a coaching client calls within 5 minutes and I have to get ready. As we end the phone he said, "I'm here if you need me." It was wonderful, but she gave me a reason to think that I might need to her.I upset. He may very frustrated.

So what lesson? 1. Understanding the sales cycle and the purpose of your phone call. Caller does not have an agenda beyond the call "follow up." After that, he expects me lead.2. Focus on benefits not features! Imagine your prospect thinks to himself, "Why should I be interested? What will it do for me? "If you want your call to be successful, you need to answer questions.3. Ask for what you want. (See # 1.) Once you know the purpose of the phone call, you have to ask what you want.4. Continue to ask for what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment